Friday, March 13, 2015

The End


“I had planned my entire life out when I was a child: I would graduate college with a science degree, work in a laboratory in a prestigious university, get married at 28, have two children: one boy, one girl, live in a buttercup yellow house with a red roof in a quiet suburban town, and die at the ripe old age of a hundred.”

“How did that work out for you?” asked Frank as he leaned back on the couch.

“Let’s just say my wacky plans never worked,” Amelia chuckled.

He let out a hearty laugh, “You seem pretty upbeat about that.”

“Well things never go the way I want them to, and I guess I’m finally seeing the humor in that. Being at the end of the line really puts things into perspective.”

Frank stood up and approached the bed. He grasped Amelia’s thin bony hand with one hand and held it against his chest as he tenderly stroked her face. A comfortable silence rested between the two as they listened the sharp beeping of Amelia’s heart.

Amelia squeezed his hand, “I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to a hundred with you.”

“You’ve already filled my heart enough to last me a hundred years,” he replied, his gentle affection spilling over his words.

Amelia was on her death bed at the age of fifty.


Amelia sighed, “Cancer really takes the life out of people. Who knew my life would go out like this? Not only is ovarian cancer an absolute pain in the gut but it also decided to unexpectedly cut my life plans in half.”

Amelia was diagnosed with stage III of epithelial ovarian cancer at forty-five years old and after three desperate surgeries and extensive chemotherapy, the couple finally decided Amelia couldn’t take any more and left to enjoy the rest of her life together. After three years of quietly enjoying each other’s company, it was time for her to check back into the hospital to ensure a peaceful passing.

She pulled his hand closer to her chest, “I’m sorry I couldn’t give you the two children,” she whispered to him, her voice filled with regret.

“You’ve already given me the greatest twenty years of my life.” He murmured, as he leaned and kissed her on her forehead.

She softly traced her fingers over his cheeks as he pulled back, “Have you ever regretted staying with me?”

“Never.”

Amelia dropped her hands back to her side and looked towards her heart monitor. What was left of her life was being recorded on a small beeping box, however, when she looked back at her husband, she realized that the end of her life was also reflected on his eyes. Although she couldn’t finished her ‘life plan’, the actual reality of her life was enjoyable. Many unexpected events had twisted and turned the course of her life but that had led her straight into Frank’s arms. Her end would not be alone in sadness but together in happiness and that was enough.

“Hey Frank, Do you think I’ve lived a happy life?”

Frank gazed into her hazel eyes as he lovingly brush his hand through her soft brown hair, “I think the beautiful smile on your face says it all.”

-ThatWeirdGirl

This was an old story I wrote while applying for my school literary magazine that I didn't feel like publishing for some reason, but here it is now.

Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment